Friday 6 January 2012

Something About Nothing


This week’s news roundup equates to exactly that – something about nothing.  Or nothing about something.  Or something like that.

I know, it’s the most exciting blog post ever, right?

Hmmm.  On my mind this week are resolutions.  Hardly original given the time of year, I’ll grant you, but nevertheless I’ll plod on. 

The whole idea of New Year’s resolutions fascinates me.  Why do we make them?  What is the point?  I’m not sure I buy into the whole idea of a new year and a new beginning, especially when the first week of the new year is almost exactly the same as the last week of the year before.  Actually that’s not even accurate because it’s worse – you no longer have any reasonable excuse to eat chocolate and drink wine at random hours of the day.  (Not that I would, of course.  I’m just saying I could, you know, if I wanted to.)  Yet even without any real understanding of why I’m doing it I’m compelled to make a resolution anyway. 

This year, though, I have so many resolutions I’m practically a whole different person, and I don’t have an original one among them.  Write more.  Watch less television (will never happen).  Exercise more.  Reduce my daily intake of Coca Cola to resemble a normal human being’s.  The usual stuff.

(At least with only one can this week (so far) I’m sort of sticking to the last one.)

I’ve almost convinced myself I’m going to be a ‘new me’ this year.  I did, after all, recently learn to make soup, and I’ve started watching Come Dine with Me.  That right there is already a sign of self improvement.  Next week I’m attempting to master the ability to get out of the bed when the alarm goes off (as opposed an hour later after repeatedly hitting the snooze button), have breakfast and leave the house in an organised, grown up manner. 

I feel my mere consideration of it is already a sign that I’ve grown as a person.

In other news, I have writing guilt.  The printed copy of my manuscript is lying on my desk, staring at me in a mildly accusatory manner each time I pass by the study door.  Every time I open a new tab on my internet browser I’m confronted by a list of bookmarked agent websites and writing pages scowling at me and reminding me that publishing success is not likely gained by lurking around the Disboards and pricing imaginary trips to America.  Even my poor blog title is practically wilting in shame – what happens in Hayden?  Well, erm, not much really, not lately.  But between the Christmas revelry/insanity, soup-making antics, a delinquent bunny and all the resolution-making I can hardly be expected to find the time to write, can I?  So for the sake of my sanity – and my plot – I’ve had a two week hiatus from the painstaking editing process lest the crucial plot points become less about lies and murder and more about the correct ratio of lentils to vegetables.

Thank God it’s January.

Now there’s something I never thought I would say.

Coming soon (probably) – the trials and tribulations of losing the snooze button.

No comments:

Post a Comment