Sunday 31 July 2011

Lacking in Life Skills Part 1


It all seemed like such a good idea at the time. . .

Being the overgrown child that I am, there was almost no chance I would want to attend Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party this year without a costume of some kind.  Of course, it would have to be something Disney related, preferably paying homage to a favourite character or attraction, and it goes without saying that it would need to be compatible with the Floridian heat in September.

And then I had it, the perfect idea.  It would be so simple.  All I needed was a few bit and pieces; some PVA glue, a few bits of ribbon,  a couple of pom-poms, an iron-on transfer and hey presto, a costume.  (10 points if you guess what it is!)





One tiny, insignificant problem – I can’t sew.  At all. 

All I wanted to do was sew a piece of purple ribbon around the collar of a t-shirt.  I thought it would be easy.  Clearly, I did not factor in my failure to master basic life skills and frequent lack of common sense.



So after several hours and far more blood, sweat and tears than are strictly necessary for a seemingly simple task, what did I end up with?  A t-shirt I can no longer fit over my head (thankfully easily undone with a stitch ripper I found in my “Sewing for Idiots” kit.)

It makes it that little bit worse when my husband wanders in, looks at me with that familiar mix of ridicule and bemusement, and casually informs me I’m “not doing that right.”  Indeed.  That much, at least, I had figured out for myself.

I will not be defeated, however.  Just because there are many basic life skills I have not yet learned does not mean I must remain in perpetual ignorance.  I can do this.

So. . . anyone know how to sew?

No comments:

Post a Comment